Saturday, January 4, 2014

Caleta Olivia and Esquel

After Piedra Buena, I hitchhiked up to Caleta Olivia to meet up with Emiliano, who I had met on the ship going to Chile Chico about 2 months prior.
I only had his address, so it was kind of a surprise. The city is kind of ugly. The only saving grace is that its got beach.



It was good to reunite with a familiar face. We had some good chats and I got to hang out with his lovely sister Ivanna, who lives with him.


After a heartfelt goodbye, I headed off west to Esquel. Esquel is a small valley town. Tranquil, not too much going on. I originally wanted to stop here to try to find a meteorite crystal that comes only from this area called Esquel Palantine.

I camped here for 3 days (spend Christmas here). The day before I was going to leave, I met Facundo, walking to the plaza to spin. He’s a juggler too. We got on pretty well and he invited me to stay with his family.  


I ended up staying about a week with him and his family, (spent new years with them). That was a great experience. We must’ve had at least 3 asados (BBQs). A lot of their family was around for the holidays. The house was always full. I feel fortunate to have been able to witness Argentinian family life (again).
The week was spent juggling, learning some acrobatics, eating lots of meat, and taking lots of pictures with Facundo’s giddy younger sister and younger cousins.   






New year’s day, the family and I went to a nearby national park. It was pretty with clear water. A good opportunity to dive into a river presented itself, and so how better to start off the new year than to wash afresh. 








No comments:

Post a Comment